early-summertop.jpg

iloveny.png

Heritage

Washington County's rich history is a superb launching point for tours and activities. A number of intimate, well-curated museums document the often pivotal local events that influenced regional and national history; others highlight the people who have made a mark here. Reenactments bring history to life—literally.Hartford_Museum.museum2009-2_020.jpg

There also are dozens of historic homes, structures and sites to explore, including four noteworthy covered bridges and a one covered foot bridge.

Washington County is “one” of the birthplaces of the United States Navy

The claim of Whitehall, New York, is based on naval and amphibious operations on Lake Champlain undertaken by the Continental Army under the command of Benedict Arnold.  It should be noted that Washington's and Arnold's operations were manned and officered entirely under the authority of the Continental Army.  There was no institutional continuity between Washington's or of Arnold's command and the Continental Navy, established as a separate institution by the Continental Congress.  The United States Navy considers its beginnings to have been the Continental Navy, not the Continental Army.

Washington County is considered the “spiritual home” US Rangers

Rogers Island is an island on the Hudson River in Fort Edward, NY, that once formed part of the third largest city in colonial North America, and is considered the "spiritual home" of the United States Special Operations Forces, particularly the United State Army Rangers.

Solomon Northup story – made into an Oscar winning movie has roots here

Solomon Northup (July 1808 – 1863?) was a free-born African - American from New York, the son of a freed slave.  Solomon Northup married Anne Hampton on Christmas Day in 1828 and they began their married life living in the Old Fort House, now a museum in Fort Edward. Anne had formally worked for the family of Rev. Alexander Proudfit of Salem. She also worked at the Eagle Tavern and Sherrill’s Coffee House in Sandy Hill, now Hudson Falls.

Susan B. Anthony – Childhood home

When Anthony was six years old, her family moved to Battenville, NY, where her father managed a large cotton mill. Previously he had operated his own small cotton factory at seventeen Anthony was sent to a Quaker boarding school in Philadelphia, where she unhappily endured its severe atmosphere.

Underground Railroad

Many slaves followed routes through Washington County. One community in particular, Greenwich, was very active in what came to be called The Underground Railroad. Homes of devoted Greenwich abolitionists, which still stand on Park Street, are those of Henry Holmes and William H. and Angelina Mowry. 

Covered Bridges

Washington County is home to more covered bridges than anywhere else in New England – concentration in one county.  We have a total of four Shushan Covered Bridge, now a museum, Buskirk Covered Bridge, Eagleville Covered Bridge, Rexleigh Covered Bridge and Rice Seed Covered Foot Bridge. The bridges were originally constructed to move people, animals and products over moving water – three of the bridges cross the Batten kill.  The word comes from the Middle Dutch kille, meaning "riverbed" or "water channel.

Slate Valley

Slate_Valley_Museum.nast_civil_war_christmas.jpgGranville, NY is home to Unfading Red - a bright red that will not change color, this dense and very hard slate is quarried in Washington County, New York, and is commonly found in roof applications with color patterns and designs. Unfading Red can be a drier, more brittle slate, making it more expensive to produce and contributing to its higher cost. You will find the NYS stone in the Washington Monument is a block of slate from Granville, NY. 


Rice Seed Company

Cambridge is home to Jerome B Rice who owned and operated the second largest seed producing company in the states.  This is more significant because he did all of this from a wheelchair.    

Sort by
Name:
Buskirk Covered Bridge

Address:
River Road off County Route 67.
Buskirk  NY  12816
Telephone:

Alternate Telephone:

Fax:

Email Address:

Website URL:
http://
Description:
Spanning the Hoosic River, Buskirks Bridge was built in 1857 using a William Howe Truss with a 160 foot span and replaced the original Northern Turnpike Burr-Truss Bridge built in 1804. Restored in 2007, located on River Road off County Route 67 connects Washington County and Rensselaer County.

Categories:
Heritage
Name:
Eagleville Covered Bridge

Address:
Rt 64
Shushan  NY  12834
Telephone:

Alternate Telephone:

Fax:

Email Address:

Website URL:
http://
Description:
Spanning the Batten Kill, on Eagleville Road off County Route 64 was built on a 100 foot Ithiel Town Lattice truss in 1858 by Ephraim W. Clapp. The Clapp family owned mills in Rexleigh down stream from Eagleville. This bridge was restored in 2007 and is open to vehicular and pedestrian traffic. It is a popular fishing and recreation spot.

Categories:
Heritage
Name:
Hartford Museum

Address:
55 County Route 23
Hartford  NY  12838
Telephone:
none
Alternate Telephone:

Fax:

Email Address:
hartfordmuseum23@gmail.com
Website URL:
http:/www./hartfordny/museum
Description:
Museum and Civil War enlistment center tell the story of life in Hartford in the 1800's and the story of Co.E of the 123rd NYSV during the Civil War.

Categories:
Heritage
Name:
Historic Salem Courthouse - Courthouse Community Center

Address:
58 East Broadway
Salem  New York  12865
Telephone:
518-854-7053
Alternate Telephone:

Fax:

Email Address:
HSCPA@salemcourthouse.org
Website URL:
http://www.salemcourthouse.org
Description:
A community center offering fine and performing arts, crafts, educational and enrichment opportunities for persons of all ages. Individuals are given the chance to enjoy, participate in and serve the community. The past is celebrated by restoring and preserving the Old Washington County Courthouse b

Categories:
Heritage
Name:
Old Fort House Museum

Address:
29-31 Broadway
Fort Edward  New York  12828
Telephone:
(518) 747-9600
Alternate Telephone:

Fax:

Email Address:
oldfort@albany.twcbc.com
Website URL:
http://www.oldforthousemuseum.com/
Description:
Museum Hours are 1:00 to 5:00 daily, June-August, September-mid October open 1 to 5 Tuesday through Sunday and closed on National Holidays. The Old Fort House with authentic furnishings depicting the lives of the occupants from the 1770's through the 1940's.

Categories:
Heritage
Name:
Rexleigh Covered Bridge

Address:
Rt 22 & Rexleigh Rd
Shushan  NY  12834
Telephone:

Alternate Telephone:

Fax:

Email Address:

Website URL:
http://
Description:
Spanning the Batten Kill the Rexleigh Covered Bridge is a 107 foot William Howe Trusse on Rexleigh Road east of State Route 22 was built in 1870 using cast iron shoes bearings, the only surviving examples or their use in a covered bridge, patented in 1857 by Ruben Comins of Troy, New York and restored in 2007. Fshing access, a popular spot for swimming and picnicking.

Categories:
Heritage
Name:
Rice Seed Foot Bridge

Address:
Main Street
Cambridge  New York  12816
Telephone:
518-000-0000
Alternate Telephone:

Fax:

Email Address:

Website URL:
http://
Description:
The 23 foot long seed company foot bridge simple stringer construction for pedestrians in 1890 by Florans Hoxie. Still in use the bridge provides a pleasant meeting spot in a park like setting.

Categories:
Heritage
Name:
Shushan Covered Bridge Museum

Address:
Rt 61
Shushan  New York  12873
Telephone:
518-677-8251
Alternate Telephone:
518-854-7220
Fax:

Email Address:
info@washingtonnycounty.com
Website URL:

Description:
Located in the hamlet of Shushan, NY the museum is housed in an old covered bridge built in 1858 by the Stevens Bros. The Shushan Covered Bridge Association, Inc converted it into a museum. A collection of period machinery and farm implements, many in working order, are used by visitors for hands o

Categories:
Heritage
Name:
Skene Manor

Address:
8 Potters Terrace
Whitehall  New York  12887
Telephone:
518-499-1906
Alternate Telephone:

Fax:

Email Address:

Website URL:
http://www.skenemanor.org
Description:
Skene Manor is a historically preserved Victorian castle with gorgeous views of Lake Champlain and the Village of Whitehall Friday,Saturday and Sunday from 12-4pm starting mid April through mid December offering lunch in the Tea Room, gift shop is located and free tours.

Categories:
Heritage
Name:
Slate Valley Museum

Address:
17 Water Street
Granville  New York  12832
Telephone:
5186421417
Alternate Telephone:

Fax:

Email Address:
director@slatevalleymuseum.org
Website URL:
http://www.slatevalleymuseum.org/
Description:
The Slate Valley Museum celebrates the history and culture of the quarrying community that was established along the New York-Vermont border in the 1800s. Many of the Slate Valley quarries are still in operation, producing most of the colored roofing slate sold throughout the United States today.

Categories:
Heritage
Name:
The Georgi Museum and Park Center

Address:
PO Box 150
Shushan  NY  12873
Telephone:
518-854-3773
Alternate Telephone:

Fax:

Email Address:
info@thegeorgi.com
Website URL:
http://www.thegeorgi.com
Description:
On the Battenkill and lovely 1950's era home filled with art from the 15th through 18th century. The grounds are open to the public with area for picinicing along the Batten kill or putting to float, also an excellent spot for Fly Fishing - Shushan Postmaster Lou Oatman made this section of the river famous. A beautiful location for weddings. Rental information upon request.

Categories:
Heritage
Name:
Woodlands Cemetery

Address:
North Union Street
Cambridge  New York  12816
Telephone:
518-677-3515
Alternate Telephone:

Fax:

Email Address:

Website URL:
http://www.woodlandscemetery.org
Description:
Woodlands Cemetery was designed in 1858 by Philadelphia architect J.C. Sydney as a park like cemetery. Philip Embury America's 1st Methodist minister is buried here.

Categories:
Heritage