The Town of Hampton is located in the northeast corner of Washington County, along the banks of the Poultney River. Hampton is an agricultural, rural community, with farms, small lakes, and ponds. Red slate and other colored slate were mined here as they were and are in nearby Granville. With less than 950 residents, it’s a wonderful environment for living in the country. With larger towns in both New York and Vermont close by, we have the best of both worlds. Hampton is a Right to Farm community.
William Miller: Herald of the Second Advent
(1782-1849) American farmer and Baptist preacher who announced the imminent coming of Christ and founded the movement popularly known as Millerism, or the Millerite Movement, characterized by a distinctive type of pre-millennialism and giving rise to a group of denominations classed as the Adventist bodies. Miller was born in Pittsfield, Massachusetts, and was reared in Low Hampton, in northern New York, almost on the Vermont line. As an ambitious frontier boy with an unquenchable desire for knowledge, he was largely self-educated. Upon his marriage with Lucy P. Smith in 1803, he moved to Poultney, Vermont. Through friendship with several prominent citizens who were deists, Miller abandoned his religious convictions and became an avowed skeptic.
This area of New York was part of a jurisdictional dispute between New York and Vermont. The matter was not settled until after 1790.
The town was formed in 1786 and was once called “Hampton Corners” and “Greenfield.” It was founded by Gideon G. Warren, former American Revolutionary War officer. The first town meeting was conducted in his home. Many of the first settlers were from Massachusetts and Connecticut. The land contains parts of early land patents, including Skene’s Little Patent and those issued to groups of British officers.
In 1783, the Poultney River at the east town line suddenly changed course and became un-navigable due to a sudden influx of water.
• Gideon Warren (1730–1803), Served with the Green Mountain Boys and was an officer in the Revolution, later established towns in Washington County.