The Village of Argyle, New York, in the Town of Argyle, is named after Argyll shire, Scotland (now Argyll and Bute, Scotland). Many of the original setters came from Scotland and settled here in the mid-1700s. German, Irish, Dutch and Polish settlers were also attracted to this area. The 1800s found Argyle residents active in the Underground Railroad and abolitionist movement. The Moses Kill provided waterpower for mills in the village. The early 1900s brought a library and running water to residents, who proudly served their country in times of war. Today, Argyle Village is considered home by the descendants of these folks and newcomers alike.
The Town was formed from the Argyll Patent of 1764 while still in Albany County, New York and became a town in the new Charlotte County, Province of New York. Charlotte County was subsequently renamed as Washington County. Since many of the original settlers were from Argyll, Scotland, they adopted the name of their native land to the town. Although population growth was slow, the town was the most populous in the county by 1790.
In 1803, part of the town was used to establish the new Town of Greenwich.
• Barkley Mountain – An elevation east of the community of Argyle.
• Cossayuna Lake – The largest body of water in the town, located in the southeast corner (Elevation 422 feet (129 m)).
• Dead Creek – A stream exiting from Argyle at the west town line.
• Moses Kill – A stream passing through North Argyle and Argyle village.
• Mud Pond – A small lake north of Goose Island.
• Murdock Mountain – An elevation north of Summit Lake.
• Summit Lake – A lake west of Cossayuna Lake.
• Tamarack Swamp – A swamp by the north town line.
• Todd Mountain – An elevation northwest of Goose Island
Agriculture is the common thread in Washington and Argyle includes many grass fed beef producers, artisan and farmstead cheese makers, you might recognize Goose Island Potatoes, honey, maple and a year round greens producer.